Sunday, August 15

NFL 2010 Season Predictions: NFC North Chicago Bears


Today we start the NFC North with a surprising team, the Chicago Bears.

Chicago Bears



Last Season: 7-9

2010 NFL Draft: S Major Wright (Florida, Rd. 3/Pick 11), DE Corey Wootton (Northwestern, Rd. 4/Pick 11), CB Joshua Moore (Kansas St., Rd. 5/Pick 10), QB Dan LeFevour (Central Michigan, Rd. 6/Pick 12), OT J’marcus Webb (West Texas A&M, Rd. 7/Pick 11)

Key Additions: SS Chris Harris (from Panthers), LB Brian Iwuh (from Jaguars), CB Tim Jennings (from Colts), TE Brandon Manumaleuna (from Chargers), DE Julius Peppers (from Panthers), RB Chester Taylor (from Vikings)

Key Losses: DE Alex Brown (to Saints), FB Jason McKie (to Saints), DE Adewale Ogunleye (Released), OT Orlando Pace (Released), S Kevin Payne (to Rams), CB Nathan Vasher (to Chargers), LB Jamar Williams (to Panthers)

2010 Regular Season Schedule:
Week 1: Lions
Week 2: @ Cowboys
Week 3: Packers
Week 4: @ NY Giants
Week 5: @ Panthers
Week 6: Seahawks
Week 7: Redskins
Week 8: BYE
Week 9: @ Bills
Week 10: Vikings
Week 11: @ Dolphins
Week 12: Eagles
Week 13: @ Lions
Week 14: Patriots
Week 15: @ Vikings
Week 16: NY Jets
Week 17: @ Packers

Analysis: The NFC North, who usually has two bad teams, looks to improve this year by adding a third team who can compete for the division title. Jay Cutler started last season pretty bad, but he improved as the season went on. He will be better, but his problem this year will be the receivers he has to deal with. They are sitting pretty at tight end with Greg Olsen, Manumaleuna and Desmond Clark, but Devin Hester looks to lead the wide receivers. He has improved, but he will need help. Earl Bennett and Johnny Knox may be able to help him out. The Bears will be pounding the ball this year. Matt Forte is good and Chester Taylor adds a third down back, but also a target for Cutler to throw to. Peppers instantly helps the defensive. He will miss Ogunleye, but Tommie Harris could improve. Brian Urlacher’s return will be very welcome as he joines Lance Briggs to bring fear to opposing teams. Jennings adds depth to the secondary, but they could use some more help. This team is improving, but they may still be missing a few parts still.

2010 Season Predictions: 4-12, Fourth in NFC North

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry.. 4th in the NFC? Are you serious? I'm a Bears fan but I'm not delusional. I know that they have the capacity to be a great team and even #1 in the Division but will it all come together this season? I'm doubtful. However, I certainly don't think the Lions will be a better team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have added this, but this basically my low chance, high risk pick of the season. The Bears definitely have a chance at making a push for the playoffs. The lack of a receiving core worries me, but the defense should be strong. They finished strong last year, but I personally think the Lions will be a surprise team this year. I could be totally wrong, but it's my riskiest pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably didn't think you'd have a die hard Bears fan reading your post, ha ha.

    I am actually surprised by people's concerns about our receivers just because they are a young group. However, I think two of them really showed their capabilities last year (Knox and Aromashadou) and Hester is just Hester (not that he's amazing but he has bursts of greatness). I'm excited but cautiously so about them.

    The chances that they will make the playoffs? Depends. On a lot. I'm hoping for 8-8 season. Anything better will be a success in my eyes but anything less, not necessarily a failure.. yet. After all, working with a brand new offense and a new coaching staff (minus Lovie, of course).

    Ha ha, can you tell I'm excited for football? Sorry for rambling on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason I am concerned about the young and unexperienced receiving core is I see Cutler as a Favre-like quarterback, albeit not as good. You saw how Favre did a few years ago when the Packers were rebuilding and were young. His numbers were nothing to write home about. I think the same thing continues for Cutler this year.

    ReplyDelete

Agree? Disagree? Tell me your thoughts below.