Saturday, July 3

Free Agency is Under Way

Sorry for the lack of post. I have been busy lately taking care of my internship so I can get to the point where I can do this professionally. I am going to try and get a post up at least every other day from now on. Continue with the comments and e-mail me with any questions, opinions or ideas.


2010 NBA FREE AGENCY
(Slam Dunk Central)

The 2010 NBA Free Agency finally started at 12:01 a.m. EST on July 1, 2010. As I said in one of my earlier post, this is the BEST free agent class ever. There are so many people, and yes besides the "big 3." This offseason could change the landscape of the NBA and change what teams dominate. Do you think if Lebron James doesn't go back to the Cavs that they will even make the playoffs? No. Miami Heat will be better off than the Lebron-less Cavs without Dwyane Wade, but not by much. So let's see how things have been going so far.

LEBRON JAMES (Current Team: Cleveland Cavaliers)

He is The King. I am not a huge Lebron James fan nor do I think I ever will be, even if he went to a team I like. But, I can respect his talent and I know that he is the best player available. He is being heavily recruited by Chicago, New York, New Jersey and Miami along with his former team Cleveland. He has talked to all of those teams already being only the end of the second day. Still, the general public has no idea where he is going.

Cleveland hired Byron Scott as their head coach and I think that is a good move on their part. Many people are very high on Scott, but I think he will do a lot of what Mike Brown was doing with the Cavs. Take that how you want. I personally don't think the problem was Brown, but the fact that when Cleveland got behind, LBJ tried to do everything, and nobody cared. His team wanted him to carry the team. Yes, being arguably the best player in the NBA (still not sold on that), he is expected to step up when it matters. But, when you lose a game at home, you don't need to try and win the game in the first five minutes of the next game by yourself, in turn giving the other team the lead because they know what is coming. That is why I don't think he should go back to Cleveland. That is all that he will ever have, and he needs somebody that will challenge him for those big shots and big plays.

I would love to see him go to Chicago or Miami and team up with Dwyane Wade. I respect Wade a lot and think he may be arguably the best player in the NBA. More about him later though.

In the end, I have no idea where James will sign. If he goes to New York, I think he is making a mistake, although they look to be signing Amar'e Stoudemire. If he goes to New Jersey or Chicago with Bosh, he will have something to work with. If he goes to Chicago or Miami with Wade, they will win. Guaranteed. But, I don't think he is going to Miami or New York. New Jersey is a long shot in my opinion. So if he wants to share a team with Dwyane Wade... he will go to Chicago. If he wants to stay loyal... he will stay in Cleveland.

DWYANE WADE (Current Team: Miami Heat)

Yes, Dwyane Wade has won a NBA Title. One more than Lebron James as a matter of fact. How did he do that? With his crazy, unbelievable moves and a little help from his supporting cast. That is what has been lacking in Wade's quest for a second title.

So far, Wade has long been considered almost a lock to stay in Miami. But, since July 1, he has visited the Chicago Bulls not once, but twice! He is from Chicago originally. If he goes to Chicago, he could potentially share the stage with Lebron James, Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah. If Lebron doesn't want to come, Chris Bosh may take his spot, still making a crazy starting five.

I honestly think that Wade is either going to stay in Miami or go to Chicago. Those are his only two choices that he still has on the table. Go back to where he is from or play for the team that he loves. If Lebron called up Dwyane and said that he was going to Chicago and wanted him to come play with him, I think it would happen that way. I don't think Lebron will do that. Wade stays in Miami and (hopefully) they sign him some help.

CHRIS BOSH (Current Team: Toronto Raptors)

Unlike the other two in the "big 3", Bosh isn't even considering staying at his current team. He wants out and he wants to win. It's the right choice, because if stayed in Toronto, he wouldn't have won a title. So where does he go to help him get to that level?

I think Bosh will enter next season starting next to Lebron James or Dwyane Wade. If he is smart he will. He could go to Chicago and start with Lebron or Dwayne or go to Miami and start with Wade. Realistically, he could go to New York and start along side Amar'e. He has a lot of choices, but to make him leaving Toronto worth it, he needs to pair himself up with help.

I think Bosh goes to Miami and starts along side Wade. But again, just like the other two, a lot of factors go into his decision and could easily change. 

THE REST

I don't want to take anything away from anyone else, because there are a lot of great players out there, but a lot of big names seem to be staying put. Joe Johnson looks like he is staying in Atlanta. Paul Pierce IS staying in Boston. Dirk will most likely stay with Cuban and the Dallas Mavericks. Rudy Gay signed to continue playing with Memphis. Amar'e looks like he is going to end up in New York after saying that his days in Phoenix are over.

Carlos Boozer is still a big name. He isn't the same Boozer as he use to be, but he can help. Where he goes I think depends on where the "big 3" go. If Wade stays in Miami and the other two don't come, Boozer could go there. If one or more go to Chicago, he will probably not go there. He could easily go to New York or New Jersey if they strike out. 

There is so much left to decide and hopefully by the end of the weekend we will have a clearer view of what is to come in the 2010-2011 NBA season. Depending on what happens in the next few days, I plan to talk about either who's left and where they may go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Tell me your thoughts below.