Thursday, July 28

NFL Preview: Here Comes Football Season

As was predicted by most when the NFL owners locked out the NFL Players' Association earlier this year, there was light at the end of the tunnel as the lockout officially ended Monday.

Most never feared the lockout would turn into missed games or a cancelled season, but as the Owners and NFLPA pushed the greedy negotiations into June and July and when news broke last week that the Hall of Fame game had been cancelled, doubt started to creep into many minds.

But, nonetheless, both sides came to an agreement and the NFL season officially began Tuesday. Trades have taken place, free agents are on the move and the Sept. 8 regular-season opener is just on the horizon.

We can all stop worrying and get back to our daily football lives. (Keeper League GM)

Now that I am already signed up for two Fantasy Football teams, it was time for me to dive into the schedule and make my second annual NFL Predictions. The preview will begin Monday with the AFC East and I will post one team a day until all 32 teams have been discussed. With my picks, I go through every game and choose a winner, so my overall records are just random numbers; each record would match up with a win or a loss.

Last season my picks kind of fell by the wayside. I chose only 50 percent of the NFL Playoff teams; four from the AFC (Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New York Jets and Indianapolis) and two from the NFC (Green Bay and New Orleans). I perfectly predicted three records — Miami Dolphins 7-9, New York Jets 11-5 and Denver Broncos 4-12 — and was only one win or loss off on six other teams.

However, my demise lied in my big blunders. I incorrectly predicted records for 10 teams that ended up being at least five wins or losses off. My biggest mistake was the Philadelphia Eagles. I predicted the Eagles would see a significant decrease in offensive production with Kevin Kolb at the helm, going 2-12 on the way to the first overall pick in the 2011 draft. But, Michael Vick entered the first game and only sat out when he was injured, leading the Eagles to a 10-6 record and an NFC East championship. Ultimately, I blame the Green Bay Packers for knocking Kolb out.

I overestimated several teams, including the Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, San Francisco 49ers and Carolina Panthers. With most of these teams it came down to quarterback play. Tony Romo was injured, Brett Favre was too old, Alex Smith fell flat... again and neither Matt Moore or Jimmy Clausen worked out as a starter.

Quarterbacks were also my downfall in underestimating teams. Josh Freeman had a breakout season in Tampa Bay, Jay Cutler didn't suck in Chicago and David Garrard did enough to get Jacksonville a couple of key victories. As for the Seattle Seahawks flub, well that came down to the mediocrity of the NFC West.

So, taking in consideration the mistakes I made last year and my gut instinct, I have chosen division winners, wildcards and a Super Bowl XLVI champion. There are a few mainstays in the playoffs as well as a few surprises, so make sure you come back to see what I predict for your team.

Agree with the things I said? Disagree? Let me and everyone else know! Comment below and keep following.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Tell me your thoughts below.